Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Unmarried BW Stats Are Scary...for an Unmarried BW :-(


When I hear the statistics about black professional women who have never been married (42%), I get scared because that is exactly the category that I have the possibility of falling into when I graduate from NC A&T with my Bachelor's degree.

When I walk across the stage in May and hopefully find a job, I will automatically be a part of this, and I am not looking forward to it. I do have my priorities in order and getting married is not the most pressing goal I want to accomplish now. However, even though I am only 21, it is VERY important in the long run.

Although some women may have unrealistic expectations for a man, there are few good black men who actually want a relationship. Also, there are a lot of good black men who don't fit into those standards and get overlooked. However, the same can be said for the women, like myself, who get overlooked for whatever reason the particular man sees fit.

Then I think of one of my favorite movies, "Something New", when they were discussing their "IBM"-ideal black man. However, it is hard for every black woman to have a black man because there are more of us. Of course if there multiple women to every man then he will try to take advantage, especially if he is NOT looking for a relationship. Whoever I am dating does not have to make more money than me of be more successful than me in his profession. However, I do want a man with a HIGH level of ambition who gets up in the morning wanting to make something of himself. I honestly do not have any specific requirements 

I do agree with Steve Harvey when he said that women should compromise their standards without losing sight of what is important to you. I think about my aunt, who is almost 60 and never been married. She always said to me, "If you are waiting for a man to come along, you will be waiting your WHOLE life". She is

It is not just the black women having "lists" or high standards for a potential mate that keeps this trend going, it is also the scarcity of good AVAILABLE black men. Out of 100 men, only 54% of them are NOT:

a) without HS diploma
b) without a job
c) in jail; aged 25-34

Honestly, the percentage is probably lower for those "brothas" who actually want a relationship with a black woman.


No comments: