Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Remake of "We Are The World" Is Hit & Miss

I am not a fan of sequels and remakes of classic songs and movies, especially if it is not better than the first one. Not to downplay the tragedy of the January earthquake in Haiti or the intentions of Quincy Jones and Lionel Ritche, but I didn't care for the remake of the 1985 song.

The "We Are The World" remake for Haiti is not as good as the 1st, and may even be worse. The original has an array of artists from different musical genres as does the new one. However, I liked it up until Wyclef's yoddling, and I really could have done without the hip hop break and Lil' Wayne/T-Pain's autotune.

I did enjoy that some of my favorite artists in it, such as Celine Dion, Jennifer Hudson, Mary J. Blige, Pink, Usher, Mary Mary, and Maroon 5's Adam Levine. I was even suprised by the performances of young stars Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus. However, it is a shame to think that one artist in particular is using his Haitian heritage for more publicity, and that would be Wyclef Jean.

I didn't like his part, not because he used "Nou se mond la" (Hatian for "We are the world), but because he just didn't sound good. I understand that it was for Haiti (his home country), but I just hope that his effortsto raise money for Haiti are for the right reasons and not to get publicity or something.

Overall, the "We Are the World" remake was ok, but it did not blow me away, but I didn't really expect for it to.

No comments: