Pages

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Dear John, Just Think Before You Speak


Let me preface this post by saying that I am a relatively new fan of John Mayer in the sense that I didn't used to listen to him as much as I do now. My favorite album of his is "Continuum" and I actually anticipated the release of his new album "Battle Studies" and actually bought it off of I-Tunes.

That being said, I don't think that he should have referred to having black fans as having a "nigger" pass because that word still has a sting to it that will probably never go away.

When I first heard about this interview on Twitter, I did not want to make any sudden judgments about my new favorite artist until I knew exactly what he said. After reading it, I felt that even though he is known for making outlandish comments in interviews and on stage, that he should have thought more about the comment before making it.

There were other seemingly disrespectful comments that I did not really take offense to. As a black woman, I was not offended that he called his penis a "white supremacist" in the interview because I do not care who he decides to have sex with. That is his business. What I was offended that he used the word "nigger" in a time where having a black president does not do much for racial tension.

When asked, "If you didn’t know you, would you think you’re a douche bag?", Mayer responded that it depepnded on what he read about himself.


MAYER:"It’s like I come on very strong. I am a very…I’m just very. V-E-R-Y. And if you can’t handle very, then I’m a douche bag. But I think the world needs a little very. That’s why black people love me.

PLAYBOY: Because you’re very?

MAYER: Someone asked me the other day, “What does it feel like now to have a hood pass?” And by the way, it’s sort of a contradiction in terms, because if you really had a hood pass, you could call it a nigger pass. Why are you pulling a punch and calling it a hood pass if you really have a hood pass? But I said, “I can’t really have a hood pass. I’ve never walked into a restaurant, asked for a table and been told, ‘We’re full.’"
 
I will admit that I use "nigga" on a regular basis as a term of endearment, but I still believe that the word "nigger" has a history that cannot be easily cast aside for the sake of jokes or anecdotes. As a black fan, I will not riot the stores and destroy his cds, but I will remember this interview and keep it in the back of my mind as a mere "slip-up". He seemed apologetic on his Twitter page, so I will let this slide. However, if he does something like this again, I will have to reconsider.


Full interview: http://www.playboy.com/articles/john-mayer-playboy-interview/index.html?page=2

No comments: