Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

Nicki Minaj Says She's Not Your Child's Parent

I have a morning TV routine that includes Live with Kelly and Michael, ESPN's First Take and The View. Today as I was watching the latter, I had no idea that Nicki Minaj would be on the show so I inadvertently stayed tuned for her entire interview.

She was a guest on the same day that gold-medal gymnast Gabrielle Douglas was co-host for the day, so I was eager to see how she would conduct herself in the presence of one of her young fans.

I'm not a fan of Nicki Minaj but she was surprisingly dressed down and not in her usual outrageous wardrobe. She wore a military-style hat, blazer and midriff-bearing top. When asked about her outfit and whether she should cover up for her young fans (as young as five and six years old), she said that she wouldn't because:
"Five and six year olds need to be parented by their parents. I'm not their parent."
I was glad that she said this because I always wanted to ask her about having young fans but being a rapper that has to also appeal to the core rap demographic; black men. I wanted her to take a stance and put how she felt about the topic out there. While I agree with her in principle, I still think that, whether she wants to or not, she has a responsibility to be a role model because she does have a lot of young fans.

SIDENOTE: I don't think she is the best role model for young girls because her songs go from inspirational ("Fly" and "Moment for Life") to RATCHET ("Stupid Hoe"). 

One of my BIGGEST criticisms of Nicki Minaj has been that I felt she didn't acknowledge the fact that  she has a HUGE influence on young girls. From her hair to the way she dresses to her songs, she has a lot of fans who adore her (she calls her "Barbz") and so she should take a little responsibility for the fans that hang on her every word.

Below is a clip of the interview:

 

No comments: