Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2013

The "Reality" of Religion: The Sisterhood vs. Mary Mary

First of all...HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!! I wish all of my ~Elle Shanice~ readers the BEST in 2013...This is a rare Sunday post but I thought that it would be appropriate to post this today...

On New Year's Day, I watched the new show on TLC called The Sisterhood, which gives us an inside look into the lives of Atlanta's preachers' wives. The concept seemed somewhat interesting until I saw the first episode.

As a spiritual, Christian woman who attends church a decent amount of the time, I thought that I would like to see a different side of the people who run these churches nowadays, but I guess I got that...and then some. This was a little too much for me. In fact, it was a HOT MESS...

I don't think that it was a good idea to portray themselves as servants of God in such a negative light because they do represent their church as well. I'm all for pastors and first ladies being real people because the Bible itself says that "all have sinned" but this was TOO real for me.

Never mind them talking about their sex lives or explaining STD's & how to properly put a condom to their teenage daughters (instead of abstinence), but there was too much DRAMA!!!!! Gossiping, arguing and everything else that people dislike about other shows like Real Housewives of Atlanta or Basketball Wives. This show was so ridiculous to me that I don't even know if I believe that these are even real pastors' wives, pastors OR churches. 

I'm disappointed because The Sisterhood did not shine a good light on the Christian community, especially the black church after just one episode. They could have done this show so much better and I think that you can show a different side of reputation and tradition without going overboard.

Mary Mary's self-titled show is a great example of that. As successful gospel artists, they are able to show a balance between their personal, professional and spiritual lives without being too raunchy or bringing too much drama into it. Yes, they had a bachelorette party for their sister's wedding and they argue at times but I still think that they don't overdo it. They handle their business, take care of their husbands and children, make great music that praises God as well as gets people dancing, and show a real sister relationship that is authentic while looking fly.

The Sisterhood went down the wrong road in regards to displaying spirituality and the church on television. They could have shown relationships, sexuality and other "secular" topics in a way that could be used as outreach and bring people to the church. This could have really helped people with their spiritual lives but this show does not help anyone...it just hurts the perception of these pastors, their wives and their churches and puts it all in a negative light.

You can watch the entire first episode of The Sisterhood (which will be the last one that I will be watching) below:

No comments: