Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

"Just Wright" Gives Lesson About Finding True Love

As I watched the movie, I noticed that there were a lot of similarities between me & the main character. When Leslie went on a great date with a cute guy, everything seemed good, until he said that she would be the "perfect homegirl". He told her that he just got out of a relationship & that he wasn't ready for another one. When I heard him say that, it sounded vaguely familiar to me. 





I have heard this many times before from guys who think that I am someone that is cool to hang out with but they wouldn't date. Being a bigger girl, I usually use my personality to get guys' attention. I saw some of the same situations that I have been in before, like dressing comfortably for a basketball game and someone else telling me how to dress to catch a man. I felt that this story had a little piece of me in it all the way through. 


Queen Latifah stars as Leslie Wright, a physical therapist tired of being a guy's girl. She lives with her friend, Morgan (Paula Patton) who hopes to be an NBA trophy wife. After a Nets basketball game, Leslie helps star player, Scott McKnight (Common) at the gas station. He invites her to his birthday party, where she shows up with Morgan. He meets Morgan and suddenly takes an interest in her. After a quick relationship, Scott and Morgan end up being engaged. After Scott gets injured in the All-Star game, Leslie moves in to help with rehab. When rumors circulate that Scott may not be resigned, Morgan leaves him and Leslie continues to help him get better. 


I was so excited to see this movie because it was a movie about basketball and I love a good love story too. The previews were just enough to have me waiting to see it, plus the fact that Queen Latifah was gonna be in it. The icing on the cake was Common, who not only pulled off the roll of NBA player Scott McKnight but also looked
FINE doing it. His silky voice and beautiful smile made it hard to turn away from the screen, plus the fact that he had the body to pass for an NBA player. He obviously had to work out and train for this movie :-) 
The movie was a little predictable but most romantic comedies are: boy meets girl; boy falls for girl's friend; friend leaves him & girl has to pick up the pieces; boy falls in love with girl & they live happily ever after. You fall in love with the characters easily and become invested in their story. It was a good love story with a message that true love wins every time and was funny from beginning to end. It gives us BIG girls some hope that you can find love by just being yourself. 

No comments: