Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Kanye West "Monster": Is This What We've Come To Expect?

The video for Kanye West's new single "Monster" featuring Jay-Z, Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj & Bon Iver was leaked on the internet last week. 

This is the only appropriate picture that I am willing to put on my blog. 


I am a fan of Kanye West's music and have always supported him despite his crazy antics throughout his career. I was cool when he made Selita Ebanks a bird in the "Runaway" video or had moving art with alleged "Illuminati" symbols in the "Power" video. 


But this one...disturbed me. I understand that West is known to "think outside of the box", but is what we have come to expect from him? Yes, this video might fit the nature of the song but I mean REALLY...the very 1st image that you see is a woman hanged. 


And it doesn't get any better from there. You see Kanye in a bed with 2 dead women, and he starts moving them around in compromising positions. Then there is a woman dragging a dead body, 2 more people eating from one with blood on their faces, and all kinds of dismembered bodies. The kicker is Kanye West standing against the wall with a decapitated head. 


I thought that the song was about being a "MONSTER" in hip-hop and in music, which explains the cameos by Jay-Z, Rick Ross, and Nicki Minaj (who was torturing herself in the video while wearing a dominatrix outfit), but I guess Kanye took it by its literal sense. Either way, I did not like the video and was turned off by it, even though I do like the song. 


Here is the video, but I don't know how long it is going to be available:

No comments: