Pages

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Talent Could Not Outlast Her Demons

I was shocked and immediately saddened today when I heard the news that one of my favorite singers had died.

Amy Winehouse, only 27 years old, was found dead in her apartment in London. While everyone suspects an overdose, the cause of death remains unknown at the moment. She is just the latest artist with limitless talent but died young because of personal demons that get the best of them.

I remember when I first heard her album, Back To Black, during my freshman year of college in 2006. I immediately added her to my iPod. Songs like "Love is a Losing Game" and "Some Unholy War" became favorites of mine and I played them over and over.
If my man was fighting
Some unholy war
I would be behind him
Straight shook up beside him
With strength he didn't know
It's you I'm fighting for
He can't lose with me in tow
I refuse to let him go
At his side and drunk on pride
We wait for the blow 
Her soulful delivery and lyrics would not make you think that she was a white girl from the UK, but despite that she had me as an instant fan. I have always said that I am a fan of music and not of individuals, and that a musician's personal problems were none of my business as long as they made great music. While she was not perfect in the least bit, I supported her music and will have it to remember her by.

She only released two albums in her career, and I was waiting for new material from her but obviously we will never hear it. It is sad to say that she will never be able to reach her full potential because of her drug and alcohol problem, but I'm still happy to have been exposed to her talent while she was alive and call myself a fan.

R.I.P. Amy Winehouse 1983-2011 :-(

Here is a video of her from 2007 performing my favorite song of hers, "Some Unholy War" in London...
I love this because you can feel her love for this man, and the soul of her voice is extraordinary.

No comments: