Pages

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Trey Songz Needs a New Muse

The jig is up Trey! I mean really...how many sex songs can you make? You do NOT have to be the new R. Kelly...we already have him & even HE isn't being overtly sexual anymore.

The second of two mix-tapes that the he released (the other was a rap one called "Lemmeholdatbeat 2")  is full of his somewhat-signature, sexual songs. I was cool with the 1st Anticipation mix-tape (which made me a fan of his), then Ready, his most successful album to date which yielded "I Invented Sex" and equally-racy video. But THEN it was "Passion, Pain & Pleasure" & now this.

Trey has made other songs about other topics, but real R&B does not have to be JUST about sex! Yes, I enjoy songs like "Does He Do It" & "Jupiter Love" but I feel like he's putting himself in a box. Marvin Gaye had "Sexual Healing" & "Let's Get It On" but he also make socially-conscious songs like "Inner City Blues" and "What's Goin' On" to offset that. Even R. Kelly made BLOCKBUSTER collaborations with people like Celine Dion & Ron Isley. He has classics like "I Believe I Can Fly" to go along with "Bump & Grind"

He has a few songs that steer away from that topics and are actually good, like “She Needs Me” and “Top of the World”, which he talks about his hometown and his supporters in Virginia. But just a look at some of these titles lets you know EXACTLY what you’re about to hear: “French Kiss”, “Inside", "Bomb (a.p.)", & "Girl on Girl". 

Here's my favorite song from the mixtape, "She Needs Me", which has an old-school, doo-wop feel to it...Check it out:


No comments: