Pages

Friday, June 3, 2011

~Elle Shanice~ APPROVED ✔: Single Ladies

If you didn't like VH1's new series, Single Ladies, then all I can say is don't watch it. But if you did watch the premiere episode, then you were part of the record-breaking 2.8 viewers of the 2-hour movie that will be followed by a TV show.

Some people have said that the acting was bad and the story lines do nothing but perpetuate stereotypes about black women. I think that you are reading too much into it and ignoring that there are women like these characters in the world.

The show is based in Atlanta and follows the lives of 3 "single ladies" (well one is married but cheating, so I guess that counts). Of course it had its share of cameos from ATL celebs like Kandi Burruss and Jermaine Dupri. The show is produced by my girl Queen Latifah so I am willing to wait it out and give the show a chance.

Val (played by my girl and Twitter follower Stacey Dash) owns her own clothing store in Atlanta and was dumped by her 5-year boo Quinn in the 1st few minutes of the movie, setting up emotional baggage for her that will keep her storyline intact, including a rebound one-night stand with a random white dude. She gets the predictable pregnancy scare but she is my favorite character though because she shakes off her hurt and vulnerability long enough to tell off her ex. It will be interesting to see how her character develops in the

Keisha (LisaRaye McCoy) is a Samantha Jones-type character like from Sex & the City: she tries to play the man roles and control her relationships but she might be falling for someone that she truly likes. I didn't like that they made her a veteran video girl (& by "veteran" I mean needs to sit down) but she has her own drama that I would like to see play out in the series.

My least favorite character is April (played by Charity Shea), who is the white girl in the group and honestly does the most dirt. She is married to a black man who adores her and does everything for her but is cheating on him with the mayor (played by my boo Common). I wanted to like her but the way that she treats the good man that she has over some other dude...I just couldn't stomach it.


I won't be too quick to judge the show off of the 1st episode/movie but I will say that there has been a LOT of criticism about it and I would hate to see another black show fall by the wayside. 

No comments: