Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Kelly FINALLY Closing the Beyonce' Gap

Call me crazy but I actually prefer Kelly Rowland over Beyonce'...

*pause for reaction*

Yes, I said it! I know I just lost some viewers who may have clicked off the page & said "She's TRIPPIN'"...but I will say it again...

I like Kelly Rowland better than Beyonce', especially right now since I think Bey is OD'ing it w/ this less-than-stellar "4" album. Kelly's career is FINALLY on a real rise just as Beyonce' may be making a few missteps.

WAIT!!!!! Before you leave the page...let me explain:

Although I am a Beyonce' fan, I have been getting tired of her for a while now, & the OVERpromotion of this mediocre album was the tip of the iceberg. She is EVERYWHERE!!!! Every magazine cover, commercial & performing on EVERY show...and it HAS to be RIGHT when Kelly is getting a decent level of success on her own.

On Sunday's BET Awards, Kelly put on a stellar performance of her hit #1 single "Motivation", but Beyonce' still got top billing for a TAPED performance from overseas at a music festival. I feel like if you are going to be headlining a music festival in another country...that's a BIG deal & you should just do that. You don't have to perform on the BET Awards too. Let KELLY have some shine for a change.

Being a Destiny's Child fan who has followed both of them individually, I started thinking about their solo careers & noticed something ODD...Beyonce' ALWAYS comes out with a single or album right before or right after Kelly...within a year. Now we all know that you are promoting an album before it comes out, so that means that they have always been fighting for airplay.

Kelly had some success in 2002 w/ "Dilemma" & "Stole" which were on her debut Simply Deep (which was GREAT album that got overlooked), but right after that Beyonce' debuted w/ her 1st album Dangerously In Love & Kelly was pushed to the side. Same thing happened in 2006: Beyonce' came out w/ B'Day before Kelly's second project (Ms. Kelly) AND came out right after w/ I Am...Sasha Fierce. 


Kelly has always had a good level of success overseas & on dance charts but never quite got there in the US. Her current hit single "Motivation" is on it's way to being that breakout record for her. And it must be pointed out that this is her 1st project after she FINALLY split with Matthew Knowles, Beyonce's dad, as her manager back in 2009.

I know that there will be people who disagree, but that's what the comments are for! Drop me a line & we can discuss it. Here is the video on Kelly's performance below:

No comments: