Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

~Elle Shanice~ APPROVED ✔: Red Tails


~Elle Shanice~ Grade: A
I have been waiting a while to see this movie. Every time I saw the preview for "Red Tails", I got EXCITED...not just because this is a story that should have been told long ago, but also because of all the FINE BLACK MEN in it!!!!! Sounds superficial I know but either way, I was going to support this movie. 

Terrence Howard, Nate Parker, Tristan Wilds, & Elijah Kelly are among the strong group of black actors that were brought together to tell the story of the Tuskegee Airmen on the Hollywood level. It was reported that there was some difficulties getting the film made, mainly because it's a black story with a black cast that didn't involve Tyler Perry. 

Although the movie is a dramatization & the events of the Tuskegee Airmen did not happen exactly like in the movie, I still enjoyed the stories of love, friendship, and dedication to country & each other.

The movie was set in Italy as the pilots wait for missions from the Army. The banter between the tight-knit group made you realized how much they leaned on each other during that trying time & it eventually made them stronger. You saw the camaraderie & saw how much they really were there for each other. You see the friendship between Easy (Parker) & Lightning (played by David Oyelowo), Lighning fall in love with an Italian woman, Ray Gun prove himself after getting hurt & later captured, and other individual personalities that make up the group.

To be honest, I do think that some of the characters could have been a little more detailed & we could have learned more about them individually, but I liked how the movie mainly focused on the whole group & what they went through. The whole time I was on the edge of my seat, hoping that one of the planes would not get shot down or that the pilots would get through their ideal.

The action is suitable for a George Lucus-directed movie and I walked out of the theater happy that the story had be told on such a great scale. Yes, it was some fictional elements but that goes along with a major motion picture. Overall, I enjoyed the movie & encourage EVERYONE...black, white, young, old...to see it. 

No comments: