Pages

Monday, August 3, 2009

My Perm Is Strictly For Maintenance Purposes


I just saw the trailer (below) to the new movie "Good Hair", in which Chris Rock searches for the real definition of the term. It should brings about a much needed discussion about the way that black women style their hair & that hair is a black woman's "crowning glory".

I have a lot of friends who have natural hair & also who have perms. In my opinion, I prefer to get my hair permed. It is not because I have been impacted by society's views or anything...it is just for simple maintenance.

If I go to the salon & get a perm & roller-set, it is easier for me to take care of my hair on a day-to-day basis if it is easy to comb through. I am not a beautician by any means, but I can at least flat-iron my hair or something in order for it to be presentable.

Now I know that there are ways to keep your hair up if it is natural & there are people who specialize in styling natural hair, but I just think that it is better for me to get a perm because it is easier to manage for me. I have friends who have cut off their hair or stopped getting perms to grow their hair out, and hey, MORE POWER TO THEM. However, in my personal opinion, I think that it is easier to maintain your hair when you have a perm. I always know whenever I need one because it is harder to comb, & it doesn't help that I am tenderheaded.

No comments: