Pages

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I Finally See What Beyonce' Sees in Jay-Z

One of life's unanswered questions to me has always been:

Why did Beyonce' marry Jay-Z???

I know that you are "supposed" to marry someone for love and not looks. However, I always wondered what great things the Shawn Carter offered personally, because I have never met. I am a fan of Jay-Z's music, but I never thought of him as FINE.

When he appeared on "Real Time with Bill Maher" on August 28th, he opened my eyes to a whole different side of him. This man who was interviewed , apart from the legendary rapper that I knew, was funny, intelligent, and clever. He made me see him in a completely different light. He was able to make funny jokes & still keep some sort of responsibility to the culture of hip hop.

He made some very intelligent points about the history of hip hop & where it is going, the exploitation of the east coast-west coast rivalry, and music in general. He made a very valid point about how hip hop went from artistic competition to a egotistic and exploitable mess. I agree that it has taken a negative turn because of how people view it as a way to make money as opposed to a form of expression. He said that he has had 10 #1 albums and NO #1 songs because his body of work is better, which is true when you think about the Soulja Boy's of the world have a hit song but that is the only good song on the record.

My favorite part of the interview was when Bill Maher said, "The king of rock & roll is Elvis Presley...the king of pop is Michael Jackson, & the king of hip hop is...". Jay-z cleverly gave the answer, "I guess I need some life insurance." LOL

Jay-Z is one of the greatest...& Blueprint 3 is a GREAT album...go get it NOW!!!!!

No comments: