Pages

Thursday, September 17, 2009

People Forgot That Serena Was From Compton

I am a BIG Serena Williams fan & I think that she is a successful black woman who is a positive role model for young women...

That being said, I thought that it was HILARIOUS that Serena went OFF on the line judge @ the US Open after a blatantly wrong call that cost her the match and potentially the championship. People forgot that she is from Compton, California, a city that has a reputation of being one of the most dangerous cities in the United States. Don't let the Nike endorsement fool you...LOL :-)

I admit that she was wrong for blowing up, but I don't really blame her for it because she was in an intense moment of the match where she was trying to come back and win. I think that it was just a display of RAW & intense emotion.

It is also a BIG misconception about what was said by Serena. She did not curse @ all, even though it was bleeped by the broadcasters. She might have threatened her, but I highly doubt that she would carry out any threats in the middle of a match on national TV. I just think that the lady got scared when she saw 5'9"& 150 lbs. of solid angry black woman coming @ her...LOL.

This is nothing new in the world of tennis. John McEnroe used to curse & yell @ line judges and officials all of the time. Even the men's #1 player, Roger Federer, was cursing in the finals match @ the same tournament, but did not get disqualified for it. I don't want to make everything a race or gender issue, but sometimes things like this are so BLATANTLY out of order. SMH :-(

No comments: