Pages

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Oregon Unfair in KO Suspension

I do not think that LeGarrette Blount should have lost his ENTIRE senior season just for punching Byron Hout in the game. Despite his previous problems off the field & his actions after the altercation, he should not have been suspended just for the punch, when there are so many other issues in college football & sports in general.

First of all, I do not condone violence in any form @ any time. However, being a former athlete, I understand the craziness that goes on in a game, from the trash-talking to fights to technical fouls or flags. Athletes are in a very volatile state when they are on the playing field, and the slightest thing can tick you off, especially if you are losing.

I understand that the guy from Oregon was talking junk all week about the game and the Boise State players knew about it. I also understand where the Boise State player was coming from in the fact that he wanted to let the other player know who's house it was.

I agree that the Oregon player should have been the bigger man and not retalitated to the comments that the other player was making. However, & this is the BIG "HOWEVER", I do feel like the Boise State player should have used "self control" as well and not thrown salt in the open wound that was the 19-8 loss. We will probably never know exactly what was said by either player, but all I have to say is that if he would not have said WHATEVER he said, he would not have set off the fuse that led to him getting knocked out.

Also, I feel that this is not a race issue but an issue of the meaning and perception of race. I can't help but think that the penalty would have been lighter if he had punched a black player...SORRY :-(

No comments: