Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

2nd Look: "I Love My Hair" (Sesame Street Video)

I didn't know how to feel about this video from Sesame Street when I first heard about it. A little girl singing about hair? I didn't exactly know where they were going to go with that, but when I watched it and found out the story behind it, I couldn't help but think that it was the CUTEST thing EVER! I liked how the song showed the many different ways that black hair can be done and that all of them are beautiful. It is about time that positive aspects of the black experience are being highlighted and I know some grown women who could use this positive attitude about their hair.

I want to know who they little girl is that they got to sing it, because she is very talented and I thought that it was especially nice that the white writer did it for his black adopted daughter so that she would appreciate her hair as a part of her heritage. I can appreciate the message that is directed towards little black girls may be ashamed or teased about their thick, kinky, natural hair. I definately think that my 7-year-old sister can benefit from seeing this and can be ok if her hair is not as straight as what she may see on TV.

No comments: