Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

~Elle Shanice~ APPROVED ✔: 10 Things I Want To Say To A Black Woman

When I first heard this poem by Joshua Bennett, it moved me in a way that I have NEVER experienced before. Maybe it is because I have never been in love or that I have always wanted to hear something like this being said to me.

This is not me being insecure and hearing exactly what I wanted to hear. It is the hopeless romantic in me that looks forward to having someone in my life that feels this strongly about me, but the overall message is just as strong to me.

I love being a black woman and it is VERY refreshing to hear a black man feel this way about us, especially in today's black culture. A lot of the things that he loves about black women were things that I didn't think most guys noticed. Maybe that is my limited experience with men, but I LOVED when he said that the way to a man's heart was through the "heaven in your hello". I LOVED how he said that "light dances off your teeth" or talked about the beauty of a black woman, from her determination to her skin.

My favorite part is #7:
You are like the SUNRISE in a nation at war: you remind people that there is ALWAYS something worth waking up to.
That statement is the essence of how I want my future husband and the father of my children to feel about me. I want him say something like this and above ALL else, I want him to mean it. 

THANK YOU Joshua Bennett...you help me remember that there is something worth WAITING for.

No comments: