Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Aaliyah's Death Still Lingers 10 Years Later

WOW!!!!! I just have to take a moment and realize that it has been 10 years since the passing of one of the most promising artists of my lifetime, Aaliyah Dana Haughton.

She was SOOOOO underrated as a true singer/dancer/actress combination! We had no IDEA the potential she truly had and how much that we would miss her when she was gone until she was.

Reflecting over the past 10 years has made me realize just how much of a difference she made in such a short time. Still to this day, I cringe a little at the thought of what she could have been if she had not boarded that plane in the Bahamas that day.

She only had 3 albums in her short 22 years of life but each one gave us music that will last longer than our hurt as fans. I think about her every time I watch Romeo Must Die, hear one of her songs on the radio or on my iPod. I watch videos on YouTube to just get another glimpse of the angel that was put here on Earth to bring us joy and make us smile.

I was a fan of hers while she was alive because I'm a 90's music baby and TLC, the Spice Girls & Aaliyah were my LIFE!!!!! I remember growing up that there were two hairstyles that I wanted to get: Scary Spice's twists/curls & Aaliyah's bang over my eye.

What set Aaliyah out from the rest for me was her natural beauty, humble spirit, sweet personality and sincere delivery in her singing. She didn't have to SCREAM or do a lot of riffs and tricks with her voice to make you feel the song...she just SANG it:
How Could The One I Gave My Heart To, Break My Heart So Bad?
How Could The One Who Made Me Happy, Make Me Feel So Sad?
Wont Somebody Tell Me? So I Can Understand.
If You Love Me, How Could You Break This Heart Of Mine?
Tell Me...
I still remember that day when I found out that she had passed. I immediately thought of my childhood friend, Sasha, who was a BIG fan and would ALWAYS be Aaliyah when we played after school. I had just started the 8th grade and went to a private Christian school. I remember coming to class talking about it the next day and actually praying in class for her family.


That 2001-2002 school year proved to be rough for me to say the least, with September 11th happening just weeks later and Lisa "Left Eye"Lopez dying in a car accident days after my 14th birthday. All memories that are set in my mind.

I have always said that if Aaliyah & Selena were alive today that they would be a SUPERSTAR and that they would be better than all of the singers now...including Beyonce'! At the time of her death, Aaliyah was balancing a budding acting career as well as continuing her already successful music one. While I stand by that statement, I will say that there is no way to gage Aaliyah's success today because she is gone. I realize today that it was only after death that I truly developed an deep appreciation for her music.


Rest in Peace "Baby Girl"
Aaliyah Dana Haughton (January 16, 1979 – August 25, 2001)

Here is the video for my FAVORITE Aaliyah song...her delivery was powerful & yet sincere...you felt her broken heart as she sang it:

No comments: