Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2011

~Elle Shanice~ APPROVED ✔: The Help

Last week, I was fortunate to view an advanced screening of The Help while I was in Philadelphia for the 2011 NABJ Convention. This was the most anticipated session for me & I made it there early to get a good seat.

In the movie, Abilieen (Viola Davis) & Minny (Octavia Spencer) are two friends who are maids in Mississippi during the 1960's. They are just what you expect: making their lives work while holding together someone else's. Both of the women agree to speak to Skeeter (Emma Stone) for a book that she wants to write from the point of view of "the help". The book stirs up controversy in the town as more maids come forward to tell their stories.

First things first, I haven't read the book version but I know that it is FICTIONAL...it was NOT based on any personal accounts from real people. That being said, this movie was PHENOMENAL and a varied mix of emotions. I laughed & cried but most of all, it made me think:

I appreciate women like Abilieen & Minny who came before me as black women so that I don't have to go through and deal with blatant ignorance from that time. In fact, I realized that I couldn't have lived in this time where white women could talk to us ANY kind of way, especially when we did SO much for them (like raise their children). I wouldn't have been able to hold my tongue against all of the ignorance in that time.

Some people were upset that such a great actress like Viola Davis was subject to playing maids but it is not a bad thing to me. It's a period piece & these things were going on then. The fact that Viola Davis is an Oscar-nominated actress makes it better & you REALLY see her acting chops in this one. She makes you FEEL Abilieen down to her soul & I wouldn't be surprised if she is nominated for another Oscar (& actually WIN this time). Also, Octavia Spencer gives a GREAT performance as sassy Minny, who is as caring and compassionate as she is no-nonsense & blunt.

Even though racism still exists, this is a survival story that all people can appreciate. EVERYONE go see this movie!!!!!
~Elle Shanice~ grade: A




No comments: