Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

~Elle Shanice~ APPROVED ✔: Columbiana

~Elle Shanice~ grade: B+
Don't mess with Zoe Saldana!!!!!

While I wasn't completely sold on her as an action star at first or that she could carry this kind of movie by herself, I wanted to see this movie because this was the first time that I can remember a black woman (though she's not really black...I still claim her LOL) who starred in an action movie.

Columbiana was more than I expected and while it has the same basic elements of the overdone revenge action movie, it tells a new story in a new way with a new setting.

Saldana plays Cataleya, an assassin from Columbia who is ruthlessly trying to find and kill the man who had her parents murdered when she was nine years old. She goes around the world killing people who have done her wrong while trying to track down the man responsible for her parents' death.

I have liked Saldana since she was in Drumline and Center Stage and thought she was a good fit because of her Spanish heritage. She was able to pull off the stunts and still be sexy and agile.

Vartan & Saldana's characters share an intimate moment. 
I thoroughly enjoyed the Spanish twist with this movie when it mixes the two cultures, as well as seeing eye-candy Michael Vartan as her love interest, Danny. She has an intimate but elusive relationship with him, as in he doesn't know her real name or what she does. She tries to have a real life and even opens up to him a little but the details of her mission keep her from that.

Overall, I thought that the movie was interesting and while it may not satisfy the normal action movie buff, I enjoyed it and would recommend it to my ~Elle Shanice~ readers.

Check out the trailer below:

No comments: