Pages

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Michael Jackson: Childhood Deprived & Adulthood Misunderstood

When I think about the loss of such a unique and mostly misunderstood treasure as Michael Jackson, I think of a quote from "The Dark Knight" when the Joker is talking to Batman:

"To them, you're just a freak, like me! They need you right now, but when they don't, they'll cast you out, like a leper!"

That sums up the relationship between Michael and the "tabloid" media, which is different from the field that I want to enter into. When he was on top of the world, selling 100's of millions of albums and selling out stadiums, the world was in awe of the musical genius that was Michael Jackson. Even when he was in the Jackson 5, people were in love with this little boy who seemed to have the wisdom of an old man.

The only difference between hit-making Michael and "Wacko-Jacko" is your opinion: however you choose to remember him. You can dwell on his "alleged" shortcoming (which I have always thought were false) or you can help him live on through his music. Above all, he made the best-selling album of ALL TIME in Thriller. It sold more than 100,000 copies in the first week after his death. Even before, it had sold 110 million copies. On top of that, he used his celebrity to raise millions of dollars for charities.

In the weeks after his death, I began to look at old interviews and footage of him during hhis "private" time (which came to be nonexistent, even in his death). It became immediately clear to me that saying he was misunderstood is a dramatic understatement. The fact that he never had a childhood makes it more understandable why he tried to relive it by having Neverland and having a fascination with Peter Pan. I do feel like people took advantage of him and even took advantage of his being here and entertaining us all of those years. We never realized that he had to sacrifice so much in order to entertain us. He was never able to enjoy his private life because of his monumental success. The saddest part of that was that the more he gave to us, he lost himself and was not able to be happy.

I am one of Michael's biggest fans even after his death, & I have to admit that Michael influences my life on a daily basis. It is more than just musically, because I am by far not a musician of any kind. However, it is a deeper influence for me because I can listen to Wanna Be Starting Something or do the Thriller dance and it bring a smile to my face instantly. Or if I was feeling sad or something, I can put on Remember the Time & pretend that he is talking to me.

When I heard of his death, I was truly shocked because I never thought about how I would feel if he was gone. I was sad because that meant that I would ever get to meet him. As a TRUE music fan, my heart hurt because he influenced my life on a daily basis. I know that God has a plan for everything and it was his time but I really could not believe that he was GONE :(

I am glad to have witnessed the GREATEST & his music will be in my heart forever. I keep the ENTIRE Jackson family in my prayers. Say what you want but Michael Jackson is the GREATEST EVER!!!!!

No comments: