Pages

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Steve McNair: Victim of a Woman Scorned

In order to keep from speculating, I want to first present facts in the case & make it clear that this post is 100% my personal OPINION.
That being said, I do think that McNair is the victim of a woman scorned...& of his self-inflicted circumstances. First of all, when I heard the news on July 4th from one of my family members, we were all shocked.
I don't know a lot about Steve McNair football-wise, but I did know that he was a pretty decent QB and one of only a few black ones in the league (minus Michael Vick, who I think should be able to play again, but that's for a different post). So when I heard about it, I thought that it may have been the result of a home invasion or something like what happened to Sean Taylor of the Washington Redkins.
As the days progressed, the details of the event began to surface. First was the fact that McNair's body was found in a condo that he was renting with another female body. Now, McNair was married with 4 children, so I thought that it was his wife who was the other victim. However, more details came about that it was identified as Sahel Kazemi, who turned out to be his "girlfriend".
The final details came out that it was indeed a murder-suicide, where Kazemi had used a gun that she purchased to shoot McNair four times (two times in the chest & two times in the head @ close range). She then turned the gun on herself.
First of all, McNair was wrong for having an affair with a 20-year old woman when he was married for 12 years and has four children, two with his wife Mechelle. He should not have put himself in the position to hurt his wife, not to mention this woman who he apperently was not planning on leaving his wife for. She probably thought that she was gonna inherit that "NFL wife" lifestyle and everything.
She was naive to think that he would leave his wife, because he has a pretty good image in the NFL, which has been riddled with its black players' transgessions (from Vick to Plaxico Burress to Donte Stallworth) , and leaving his wife would have been a negative hit to that.
Also, I think that she should have a somewhat satisfied (yeah I said it) with him paying for the condo where she stayed and bailing her out of jail a few days before the murder, among other things.
It is not my business to speculate on why McNair was cheating on his wife or what drove Kazemi to murder him & then take her own life, but I do feel that McNair probably brought it upon himself by telling her one thing and doing another. If he was trying to get her to act how he wanted her to act or leave her, then Kazemi is still at fault but it is a little bit more understandable for me from her perspective. Murder is not right, but emotional distress and a broken heart is not a good combination.

No comments: